Co-sponsored by the Center for Comparative Media and Weatherhead East Asian Institute.
The 5th Annual MA in Film and Media Studies Conference presents papers by the class of 2023 that address questions about sending and receiving, whether messages or cultures, signals or signs, from “here to there” or the over time “from…to” one historical time to another. And considers the transmissibility of some things but not others; the translatability or untranslatability of cultural works as well as representational taboos; the circulation of or inculcation into something else. Modes of dissemination, whether distribution, broadcasting, or streaming.
Saturday, December 4, 2021, 11am–12pm ET online
The 2nd Annual Thomas Elsaesser Memorial Lecture
"From Netflix to iQiyi: As the World Turns, Serial Dramas in Virtual Circulation"
- Ying Zhu, Visiting Adjunct Professor of Film, Columbia University
- Director, Centre for Film and Moving Image Research, Academy of Film, School of Communications, Hong Kong Baptist University
- Founder and chief editor, Global Storytelling: Journal of Digital and Moving Images
- Author, Hollywood in China: Behind the Scenes of the World’s Largest Movie Market (forthcoming)
Sunday, December 5, 9am–12:30 pm ET online
"Virtual and Augmented Reality"
- University of Milan Visiting faculty and PhD students
To register for this event, fill out this form.